Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Sermon On The Mount: Part 7


Blessed (enjoying enviable happiness, spiritually prosperous—with life-joy and satisfaction in God’s favor and salvation, regardless of their outward conditions) are the makers and maintainers of peace, for they shall be called the sons of God! Matthew 5:9

Invoke blessings upon and pray for the happiness of those who curse you, implore God’s blessing (favor) upon those who abuse you [who revile, reproach, disparage, and high-handedly misuse you]. Luke 6:28

Bless those who persecute you [who are cruel in their attitude toward you]; bless and do not curse them. Romans 12:14

But if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head. Romans 12:20

We are blessed if we are the peace makers. Think of our world today and how many of us react when a politician comes against our beliefs or how we react to ISIS or a radical atheist who is attacking our faith? How many of us bless these people with our speech? How many of us feed them or cloth them while they are still acting out towards us? Listen to conservative radio; the words that we use towards those who seem to be against us are aggressive and angry. Jesus tells us that we should be blessing and praying for these people. Jesus goes on to say that even if they physically attack us, we should allow it. What?  

But I say to you, Do not resist the evil man [who injures you]; but if anyone strikes you on the right jaw or cheek, turn to him the other one too. Matthew 5:39

I do not know about you, but if these verses were left up to me, then I would beat the daylights out of a person who hit me. On my own I would evoke curses on someone who didn’t acknowledge me with a wave for letting them in to traffic. On my own I do not implore our Father for blessing on others who are against me. But amen, I am not left alone, and none of us are ever left alone.

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. Hebrews 13:5

But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness, Galatians 5:22

Amen, we cannot help but be the peace makers, the Holy Spirit will not stop until we are.

  

No comments: