Monday, January 23, 2012

Romans 6:18


18 And having been set free from sin, you have become the servants of righteousness (of conformity to the divine will in thought, purpose, and action).
You have to just love this Truth: we have been set free from sin. Through Christ we  have become the servants of righteousness. So many of us place so much weight on sin. People are constantly talking of its wages, when the glorious Truth is that we have been set free from the Law of Sin and Death, Romans 8:2.

For the law of the Spirit of life [which is] in Christ Jesus [the law of our new being] has freed me from the law of sin and of death.
What is in abundance in our hearts our mouths will speak, Luke 6:45. If a person is always talking about what sin will do and the consequences of it, sin is what is in abundance in their heart. Human nature is that we will aggressively preach against what it is that we are actually doing, Romans 2:1. We feel condemned by our shortcomings and so we try to tell others that it is wrong. It makes us feel better, especially when we see others and their shortcomings.  
I use to ask for forgiveness dozens of times a day. I would preach what was wrong and how our Father would discipline us for our sin. The problem was that the focus of all of my efforts was on man and not on Jesus. But as soon as our Father showed me the Truth about our freedom in Christ and just how successful that He was, everything in my life changed. Our Father began to use me to share the Truth and He empowered me to tell people to look to Jesus. He filled my heart with the knowledge and actual experiences of His grace. My carnal thought process, which before only focused on my actions and the negative consequences of them, went right out the door. Our Father showed me that all things now work out for our good, Romans 8:28. He showed me that Jesus’ sacrifice was so powerful that it overcame sin. I was shown that what Jesus did dwarfed anything wrong that we would do. 
The Truth finally allowed my life to begin to be lived the way that it should be. As long as I thought about how I controlled my destiny through my actions, I constantly did the things that I thought would damn me. But when the Holy Spirit set me straight and showed me the Truth of grace, it took my focus off of myself and placed it solely and completely on Jesus. Only after He did this for me, did I began to live in the ways of righteousness. What is in abundance our hearts we definitely speak and only the Holy Spirit and His Truth can take the focus off ourselves and that is what set us free!    

No comments: