Saturday, April 05, 2014

The Glory Of Being An Heir


The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. Romans 8:16-17

The Holy Spirit tells us who we are in Christ. He tells us that we are God’s children. He tells us that we are joint heirs with Christ, He bears witness with our own spirits and we know, beyond any shadow of a doubt that we have been born of God. I can remember when I was a child; I never doubted who my parents were. If I was scared I was comforted by them, my needs were always met, and I never doubted that I was the child of Neal and Brenda Shull. I knew that I was their child not only because they told me that I was, but because I lived it, and they showed it. I knew that I was an heir and man did that make me feel great. I never lacked confidence, because I knew who I was. I knew who my parents were and I knew that I was safe and protected by them. I thank God daily that I had a great childhood.

And at the age of eleven I was empowered with the Holy Spirit and I realized that I was God’s child. And my abundant life became more abundant. I knew without anyone telling me that I was born again from God’s Seed. Even at eleven, our Father’s Spirit was bearing witness with my spirit! I hadn’t read about it, I hadn’t heard it preached at Stony Brook Methodist Church, but I knew that Jesus and I had become one. At that time our Father instantly began to show me that all that He had provided for Jesus was going to be provided for me. All of the knowledge, wisdom, peace, faith, mercy, joy, power, hope, and love. Sure I was immature and had a ton of growing up to do. I still haven’t obtained it all, but the Spirit keeps bearing witness with my spirit that He will bring me to the fullness of what Jesus has provided! It’s just natural, I am God’s child and I am an heir, an heir with Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

We know [positively] that we are of God, and the whole world [around us] is under the power of the evil one. And we [have seen and] know [positively] that the Son of God has [actually] come to this world and has given us understanding and insight [progressively] to perceive (recognize) and come to know better and more clearly Him Who is true; and we are in Him Who is true--in His Son Jesus Christ (the Messiah). This [Man] is the true God and Life eternal. 1 John 5:19-20

No comments: