Tuesday, April 05, 2011

What Is Hades For?

And [the man] said, Then, father, I beseech you to send him to my father's house--For I have five brothers--so that he may give [solemn] testimony and warn them, lest they too come into this place of torment. Luke 16:17-28

This rich ruler was sent to Hades for what seems to be ignoring the needs of Lazarus who was in great need. This parable implies that this rich man was stingy and only cared for himself. Preaching here normally goes along the lines of: don’t be as the rich ruler was or your going to pay a heavy price, by being thrown into Hades and you will suffer for your sins. But, let’s look at what Jesus actually shows us with this parable: the rich man actually begins to show concern for other people while he is in Hades. This selfish, stingy, and over indulgent guy is thrown into Hades and begins to suffer and when he does, we can see a change in him. As he realizes that he can’t be let loosed from his disciplining, he begins to show love and concern for others.

Hades begins to soften this guy and it begins to drive him in the right direction of mercy towards others. Ask yourself this, why does our Father have Hades to throw sinners souls into, before they are thrown into Hell? Why would our Father, who shows us so much grace and mercy, have a place to torment peoples souls while they wait to be reunited with their bodies, so then they can be tormented eternally in Hell, both body and soul?

Is our Father really that sadistic? Many preach that He does because He loves us so much. I have actually heard it preached that this is not just love, it is agape love. I have always been told that it is love so deep that we cannot understand it. That’s plain and outright Bull! I get that kind of love. I fully understand love that says, do what I say, or I will get even with you. Thank God I have seen our Father’s love and how forgiving that it really is. Believe me, I live in it each and every day. Thank you Father for Your mercy and Grace! I know that our Father would that all me be saved, 1 Timothy 2:4. I know that our Father teaches us that the Marriage Supper of the Lamb will be filled with both good and bad guests when He enters the room, Matthew 22:10. I know that every dead person will be raised to be at the Marriage Supper, Revelation 20:12-14.
The Holy Spirit has really begun to show me that Hades isn’t a place of our Father’s revenge, but a place of His correction. It is a place that our Father uses to show people that they should care for others and a place that changes people. This falls into line with our Father corrects and disciplines all that He loves, Hebrews 12:6. Our Father loves the rich ruler every bit as much as He loves His children. Our Father disciplines us and He disciplines the guests as well, because He loves us all and is unwilling to be without any of us. Our Father wants to spend eternity with all of us, and the Truth is Hades is a tool that allows His will to be fulfilled.

No comments: