Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Colossians 1:5

5 Because of the hope [of experiencing what is] laid up (reserved and waiting) for you in heaven. Of this [hope] you heard in the past in the message of the truth of the Gospel,

Paul wrote in verses 3 and 4 that he gave our Father thanks for the faith that the Colossians had. Now he is saying that he rejoices because these people have an eternity to be spent with our Father.

For what is our hope or happiness or our victor’s wreath of exultant triumph when we stand in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming? Is it not you? For you are [indeed] our glory and our joy! 1Thessalonians 2:19-20

We are now and forevermore one with Jesus. 

I have given to them the glory and honor which You have given Me, that they may be one [even] as We are one: I in them and You in Me, in order that they may become one and perfectly united, that the world may know and [definitely] recognize that You sent Me and that You have loved them [even] as You have loved Me. Father, I desire that they also whom You have entrusted to Me [as Your gift to Me] may be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory, which You have given Me [Your love gift to Me]; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. John 17:22-24

All [things that are] Mine are Yours, and all [things that are] Yours belong to Me; and I am glorified in (through) them. [They have done Me honor; in them My glory is achieved.] John 17:10

So many of us when we talk about Jesus’ return or Heaven talk about what we will receive. I grew up hearing that song about building my mansion just over the hillside. I heard sermons about gold streets. I heard preachers say don’t bother them for the first 10,000 years because they will be thanking Jesus for what He did for them, but our glory will actually be the others who are there. Our service to and for others will not end just because Jesus returns, our callings and gifts are eternal. 

For God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable. [He never withdraws them when once they are given, and He does not change His mind about those to whom He gives His grace or to whom He sends His call.] Romans 11:29

So just as Jesus will be glorying and serving all who are able to be there, so will we. You will be my glory in Heaven and I will be yours. 


No comments: