Wednesday, August 10, 2016

1 Corinthians 1:11:13

For it has been made clear to me, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions and wrangling and factions among you. What I mean is this, that each one of you [either] says, I belong to Paul, or I belong to Apollos, or I belong to Cephas (Peter), or I belong to Christ. Is Christ (the Messiah) divided into parts? Was Paul crucified on behalf of you? Or were you baptized into the name of Paul?1 Corinthians 1:11-13

I don’t know about you but I find it really refreshing that people were as nutty 2000 years ago as we are today. These people may have not said Catholic, Church of God, Baptist, Church of Christ, Methodist, or one of the other thousands of names that we have given to ourselves today, but they did try to divide up the Body of Christ. They thought that to be legitimate that they had to be connected with a group. They wanted to belong to something that they could talk about that had a name, so they looked at the world and tried to be like it by making clubs with names out of their churches. We do the exact same thing today. But our glory is not in belonging to a denomination, our glory is that we are all part of the Body of Christ. The world cannot and will not know Jesus until He reveals Himself to them and that will not change because we create denominations. 

For we [no matter how] numerous we are, are one body, because we all partake of the one Bread [the One Whom the communion bread represents]. 1 Corinthians 10:17

For just as the body is a unity and yet has many parts, and all the parts, though many, form [only] one body, so it is with Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One). 1 Corinthians 12:12

Christ is not divided and the problem with denominations is that they divide us. Denominations far too often point out our differences and they far too often elevate themselves over others. None of us is better than any other. That would like be saying that my left arm is better than my right. I may use my right one more, but I still love and cherish the left one and would be far less capable without it. Both arms are part of my body and both are needed, loved, and cherished.  

I have seen a really great thing happening over the last several years and it is that people are leaving organized religion. They are not leaving Jesus or God, or faith, but they are leaving all of the nonsense that religion has been giving us for so long. Our Father is not having them forsake the gathering together of believers either. We are meeting in homes, over coffee, at the markets, in the malls, and wherever else our Father wants us to join up. Our Father is having us realize that buildings, titles, and names are dividing us and that they do not bring us the peace and Truth that we need to be set free. 

No comments: