Friday, August 12, 2016

1 Corinthians 1:14-16

I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, Lest anyone should say that I baptized in my own name. [Yes] I did baptize the household of Stephanas also. More than these, I do not remember that I baptized anyone. 1 Corinthians 14-16

Remember that Paul was dealing here with people who were getting all caught up in who they were associating with. Some people were saying that they were of him, some of Peter, and some of Apollos. And while we could study on the reasons people get all caught up in things like that, I feel more led to study on baptism today.

In my life I have seen religion argue over what words should be spoken when someone is baptized or if they should be dunked or sprinkled. Once again, the problem is that we have taken something and turned it all religious and by doing so we have diminished its true glory and meaning. I marvel that people really believe that our Father is so petty and would ignore someones heart over the words spoken or amount of water used for their baptism. Give me a break, Grace is so far superior to that.

John the Baptist, the greatest ever born of a woman according to Jesus, said this about baptism. 

I indeed baptize you in (with) water because of repentance [that is, because of your changing your minds for the better, heartily amending your ways, with abhorrence of your past sins]. But He Who is coming after me is mightier than I, Whose sandals I am not worthy or fit to take off or carry; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. Matthew 3:11

John was saying that a mightier baptism was coming for us and that baptism was the baptism of the Holy Spirit. We were shown that Jesus does not baptize us with water, He baptizes us with the Holy Spirit, which is the power, victory, ability, knowledge, wisdom, glory, Love, Faith, and Hope of our Father. Now that is what we truly want to be immersed in. We should want what Jesus is giving because it so far exceeds what John was doing. Water baptism is a person publicly displaying that they are going to try and change. All the power of water baptism lies with the person, but what Jesus gives with His baptism is the power for our Father to publicly display His abilities and glory through us. Jesus’ baptism of the Holy Spirit is eternal and the victory of it cannot be lost. I don’t know about you, but I would rather our Father display Himself through us, then for us to display ourselves. 

And I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you shall heed My ordinances and do them. Ezekiel 36:27

And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Acts 2:2-4

Now don’t get me wrong, water baptism is an awesome expression of faith. But it is not what the Bible is talking about when it talks about the New Testament Baptism. Our baptism is becoming one with our Father and Him placing His very Own Spirit within us insuring our success. Our baptism causes us to be as Jesus is, even though we are still on this earth. Our baptism allows us to be used to do the works that Jesus was used for and it allows our Father to do even greater works through us. Our baptism allows us to be used to intercede for people so that they may have life and have it abundantly. So don’t get all caught up with what words are spoken over a person or how much water is used. Look to the overwhelming power of our Father being poured out on a believer.   


No comments: