Friday, April 12, 2013

Philippians 2:24-25


24 But [really] I am confident and fully trusting in the Lord that shortly I myself shall come to you also.

25 However, I thought it necessary to send Epaphroditus [back] to you. [He has been] my brother and companion in labor and my fellow soldier, as well as [having come as] your special messenger (apostle) and minister to my need.

Earlier in this Chapter Paul wrote that only Timothy shared his same spirit. That did not mean that Paul and Timothy were always alone, it meant that only Timothy knew and shared what our Father was doing through Paul. Here we see that others labored with Paul, but they did not share the closeness that Paul and Timothy shared. There were several disciples with Jesus, yet only 11, were His Apostles. It didn’t mean that all of the others were not loved, it just meant that we have all been called to different levels of service.

To one he gave five talents [probably about $5,000], to another two, to another one—to each in proportion to his own personal ability. Then he departed and left the country. Matthew 25:15

Saying, These [men] who came last worked no more than an hour, and yet you have made them rank with us who have borne the burden and the scorching heat of the day. But he answered one of them, Friend, I am doing you no injustice. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what belongs to you and go. I choose to give to this man hired last the same as I give to you. Am I not permitted to do what I choose with what is mine? [Or do you begrudge my being generous?] Is your eye evil because I am good? Matthew 20:12-14

Having gifts (faculties, talents, qualities) that differ according to the grace given us, let us use them: [He whose gift is] prophecy, [let him prophesy] according to the proportion of his faith; Romans 12:6

Our Father gives us all varying degrees of faith and gifts. It doesn’t mean that He loves one of us over another, it just means that He uses us all differently. A body has many parts. The lungs do not do what the liver does. The hand differs from the heart, yet all are part of the one body and are used to the degree that the body needs them, Romans 12:4. It is the same with us who are in Christ. 

Our Father may have us in a large group of believers. He may have us by ourselves. He may use us all of our lives or for just a small portion of our lives. Whatever our Father chooses for us is glorious and is love. There is only one body and it is the Body of Christ. We are all members of it and whether we are alone for a season or in a group in no way limits our Father’s ability to use us and enlighten us with the Truth that sets us and those who we are empowered to share it with free. 

No comments: