Saturday, April 15, 2006

“And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things in common.” Acts 4:32

To have and enjoy a full and abundant life we need others to be part of our lives, and we are created in God's image; He too needs and wants us. God created us to have fellowship with. If it wasn’t God’s need and desire for fellowship with His own children, those created by Him in His Own likeness, why would He have done it in the first place? I love dogs, I have two of them, and I really enjoy their companionship, yet I need and eagerly desire to have other people in my life. My wife Beth, my kids, my friends, my brothers and sisters in the Lord, and my family, I need them to live abundantly. That’s just how God has created us. Put any of us on an island with no one else, and while we may survive, it would not be a desirous life, an abundant life, or a fulfilled life. God has angels and other created beings, but they are not created in His image as we are. I really believe that God needs us for the same reason that we need others like us. Beth and I could have stopped at one child, but we desired more, and God graced us with the ability to have more. We love the fellowship that we have with our kids; we love experiencing the fellowship that Kennedy and Lauren have with each other; we love providing for them, teaching them, and protecting them, it’s part of an abundant life!

There is something overwhelmingly comforting to know that God desires us and that we need Him. Sure God would continue to exist without us, but we are where He receives His glory. "And all Mine are Thine, and Thine are Mine, and I am glorified in them." John 17:10 Never underestimate the joy and companionship, and satisfaction that we provide for our Father. I know it doesn’t sound religious to say God needs us for anything, but History sure has proven one thing, even at our worst, He continues to long for our fellowship! And even at our worst He has continually provided a way for that fellowship to occur! God loves us and He will never leave or forsake us. “Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” Hebrews 13:5
I know that during Easter many of us focus on the brutality of the Cross and the suffering that Jesus had to endure. But do me a favor, go and read John 17, and this Easter focus on why Jesus allowed it to happen and what His desire is for our lives!
Love
Brad

No comments: